In the last few months I’ve been working on a GLib based SDK for client applications that want to communicate with a Matrix.org homeserver.
For whoever doesn’t know it, Matrix is a decentralized network of servers (Homeservers). Clients can connect to them via HTTP and send messages (events, in Matrix terminology) to each other. They are called events because these messages can be pretty much anything from instant messages through automated notifications to files or, well, actual events (such as a vCalendar); anything that you can serialize to JSON can go through this network.
My original intention was to integrate Matrix based chat into Telepathy, a DBus based messaging framework used by e.g. the GNOME desktop (more specifically Empathy, GNOME’s chat client.) After announcing my plans among the Matrix devs, I quickly learned some things:
- they are more than open to any development ideas
- they really wanted to see this working
- they would have been happy if there were a GLib or Qt based SDK
With my (far from complete) knowledge in GLib I decided to move on with this last point, hoping that it will help me much when I finally implement the Telepathy plugin.
Matrix devs are open minded
What I learned very quickly is that Matrix devs are very open minded folks from different parts of the world. They are all individuals with their own ideas, experiences and quirks, yet, when it comes to that, they steer towards their goals as a community. Thus, getting additional information from them while reading the spec was super easy.
The specification is easy to understand
Except when it is not. For these cases, see the previous point.
Jokes aside, anyone who worked with communications protocols or JSON APIs before can get along with it fast. The endpoints are all documented, and if something is unclear, they are happy to help (especially if you patch up the spec afterwards.)
Copying the SDK for a different language is not (always) what you want
I started my SDK in C, trying to mimic the Python SDK. This was a double fail: the Python SDK was a volatile WiP, and C and Python are fundamentally different.
During the upcoming weeks this became clear and I switched to the Vala language. It is much easier to write GObject based stuff in Vala, although I had to fall back to C to get some features working. I also planned and implemented a more object oriented API, which is easier to use in the GObject world.